Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Poetry and Its' Meaning


I have not read poems in a while.  The thought of reading it interested in me in some way.  It is a whole new different interpretation as compare to the short stories.  Although some poems are shorter than short stories, the hidden meaning of it is not short at all.  When I read "The Flea" by John Donne, my reaction was that it was quite a simple poem that was written similar to a short stories.  It seemed easy to understand.  However, the discussion in class about this poem blew me away.  My thought of a simple flea is not simple at all.  The man in the poem actually used the flea as a reason to lure a woman to sleep with him.  However, I don't quite understand the relationship between the man and the woman in the poem.  How well do they know each other in order for him to be brave enough to seduce her?  "Cinderella" by Anne Sexton is a great poem and is most accessible to me.  It is easy to understand since I have seen and known the story very well. 

3 comments:

  1. Flowery words and symbolism are meaningless when an idea is not conveyed. If the goal is to be cryptic, I can create an encryption algorithm that will be far more effective than what these poets are using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing that I did when I read this comment was look at your picture and guess what the text said. I imagined you getting a thought and just keep on writing. Then you stop and get another thought, then keep on writing. Well the text said just that, you read it and got one understanding. Then the lectures gave you another then the research gave you another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree that Cinderella was very easy to follow along but most of these poems were not that bad. It is usually the Shakespearean lingo I stumble with.

    ReplyDelete